|State Laws: |
State Agency that Regulates ATVs: None.
- No one under age 8 may operate an ATV.
- Children under age 12 may only operate an ATV under 70cc.
- Children under age 16 may only operate an ATV 90cc or less.
- Children under age 16 must be supervised by a person at least age 18.
- Passengers may not be carried unless the ATV was designed to carry passengers.
- All ATV operators must wear helmet and eye protection.
- ATV use on public streets and highways is prohibited except to cross.
- No ATV shall be operated without a lighted headlight and taillight from ˝ hour after sunset to ˝ hour before sunrise.
- Effective October 1, 2006, every ATV operator born on or after January 1, 1990, must have an ATV safety certificate.
- Persons using ATVs for farming, hunting or trapping are exempt from the law’s provisions.
Training: Click here to learn how to enroll in an ATV safety training course near you!
Legislation: To view North Carolina's state ATV laws, click here