|State Laws: |
State Agency that Regulates ATVs: Local County Sheriff
- No passengers are allowed on the ATV unless it is designed to carry more than one person.
- All riders (operator and passengers) must wear a helmet at all times.
- All ATVs must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles, renewing registration once every year.
- ATV use on highways is prohibited, except to cross these roads.
- No one under 10 may ride or operate an ATV.
- Operators between 10 and 15 may ride an ATV if they are on their parentís land and supervised by a parent, or on their parentís land and in possession of a safety training certificate.
- No ATV shall be operated without a lighted headlight and taillight from Ĺ hour after sunset to Ĺ hour before sunrise.
Training: Click here to learn how to enroll in an ATV safety training course near you!
Legislation: To view New York's state ATV laws, click here