State Agency that Regulates ATVs: Department of Natural Resources. View their Web Site: www.michigan.gov/dnr
- All riders (operator and passengers) must wear a helmet and eye protection at all times.
- All ATVs must be titled.
- All ATVs must be registered unless used solely on an operator’s private land; renewal is once every year.
- Children under 16 years old must have a safety training certificate and be under the direct visual supervision of an adult.
- No one under 16 may operate a three-wheeled ATV.
- No one under 10 may operate an ATV except while performing farm work.
- No one under 12 may cross a highway or street on an ATV.
- No passengers are allowed on the ATV unless it is designed to carry more than one person.
- ATV use on highways is prohibited, except to cross these roads, although operators are permitted to drive on highway shoulders.
- No ATV shall be operated without a lighted headlight and taillight from ˝ hour after sunset to ˝ hour before sunrise.
Training: Click here to learn how to enroll in an ATV safety training course near you!
Legislation: To view Michigan's state ATV laws, click here