State Agency that Regulates ATVs: Department of Natural Resources. View their website: www.iowadnr.com
- All ATVs must be registered and titled if used on public lands, except for those used solely for agricultural purposes.
- All registered ATVs are to receive one numbered sticker; renewal is once every year.
- No one under 12 can operate an ATV unless on private land.
- No one under 18 can operate an ATV on public lands unless they possess a safety training certificate.
- No passengers are allowed on the ATV unless it is designed to carry more than one person.
- ATV use on highways is prohibited, except to cross these roads and for agricultural purposes and then only during daylight hours.
- ATVs operated during hours of darkness shall have lighted head lamp and tail lamp.
Training: Click here to learn how to enroll in an ATV safety training course near you!
Legislation: To view Iowa's state ATV laws, click here