State Agency that Regulates ATVs: Department of Environmental Protection.
View their Web Site:
- All ATVs must be registered except those used only on the owner’s private property. Registration is to be renewed every two years.
- All operators using their ATVs on public lands must possess a safety training certificate from the Environmental Protection Commissioner.
- ATV riders under age 18 must have completed a safety education course.
- Youth ATVs may not be operated after dark.
- No one may drive an ATV on paved roads and highways, except a licensed operator may cross these roads at a 90 degree angle only.
- No one under 12 may operate an ATV on state-owned land.
- Persons 12 to15 may not operate an ATV unless they have a safety training certificate and are under the direct supervision of an adult over 18 who has completed a safety training course.
Training: Click here to learn how to enroll in an ATV safety training course near you!
Legislation: To view Connecticut's state ATV laws, click here